IPPF's HIV Blog

Wednesday, July 14, 2010

Macedonia: Under one roof

Sutka is home to the largest Roma community in Macedonia. People living in this neighbourhood are in the lowest social and health demographic in Macedonia. In 2007 after health reforms left around 8000 Roma women of reproductive age without access to a gynaecologist, the Health Education and Research Association (HERA) opened the Sakam da Znam Centre. Juksela, a 26 year old housewife, remembers the first time she heard about the Centre.

‘We were left without a single gynaecologist. When I heard of free gynaecology services at the new HERA Centre I thought I’d go for advice regarding family planning. I was surprised at how fast I was seen and how friendly the gynaecologist was. I was used to waiting for services, to get only a receipt or a referral. My opinions and needs were never taken into consideration. Here I had the chance to understand different methods of birth control, like condoms, pills or an intrauterine device. Best of all, I was given the opportunity to choose the method I wanted.

During subsequent visits I found out about other services relating to my sexual and reproductive health. The doctor told me that, if I wanted too, I could take a test for sexually transmitted infections (STIs) including HIV. Again there was a process of counselling before any tests were taken. Before the counselling, I didn’t know that HIV could also be transmitted from mother-to-child. I just thought it was only a sexually transmitted infection.

I was so happy with my visits to the Centre that I wanted everyone to know about it so I told all my friends. Since then I’ve heard that many have started going there too. The best thing about the Centre is that they offer is a wide range of services. You can go for help with things like medical insurance, advice on family planning, or have an HIV test, all under one roof.’

No comments:

Post a Comment