IPPF's HIV Blog

Wednesday, July 21, 2010

Colombia: Stepping out and coming alive

The Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual and Transgender (LGBT) Community Centre is the first of its kind in Bogotá, Colombia. It was brought about by two NGOs (Profamilia and Colombia Diversa) and a disco, Theatrón. Together they promote and defend lesbian gay bisexual and transgender rights. This is Clara’s story:




‘I am a transsexual. Initially I was so apprehensive about coming to the LGBT Community Centre for the first time. I contacted them many times to find out about what they did and I even tried to visit twice. Both times I could not pluck up the courage to go in and returned home. It was daunting, and I was scared I wouldn’t be accepted for what I am. I am a woman trapped in a man’s body and I didn’t think the people at the Centre would understand me. Luckily I was wrong.

When I finally managed to visit the Community Centre, it was to my great relief that everyone treated me with respect, and I felt well supported by the staff. I was able to access many services such as counselling about my own feelings being a transgender woman. I am now receiving therapy to help me to understand my own identity.

Even though I look like a man, after visiting the Community Centre several times, people started calling me by my female name. It was a hard personal challenge to make that first move to come, but now there is no looking back. Everyone here has been so respectful, I can’t express how much that means.

I now visit the community centre regularly. There are loads of things to do here such as tuition in other languages and social activities such as yoga, games and movies. I now work as a volunteer at the Centre. I am an artist and enjoy sharing my knowledge and skills with the other people who come to the Centre.’

No comments:

Post a Comment