IPPF's HIV Blog

Monday, September 13, 2010

Iran: The longest night of the year

In a clothing factory in southern Tehran, Yalda, a 19 year-old girl, earns a living folding and packing clothes eight hours a day. The last four years have been a roller coaster for her, as she explains:

‘My name Yalda means ‘the longest night of the year’. I think it reflects my past, which has been long and dark. I lost my mother at the age of seven and had to take on a mother’s role, while raising my younger sister.

At 15, I committed a sin under Islamic law. I lost my virginity to my boyfriend Mohammad, who had promised to marry me. My father is very conservative and religious, so could not accept this. I was left with no option but to run away with Mohammed.

My life quickly spun out of control. It all started with my first cigarette. That cigarette became the gateway to a life of addiction. The first time I got high I had no idea what to expect, but once it hit and I started feeling the tingle I couldn’t help but smile. For the first time I was able to escape my life. I moved on to drugs to numb the pain, shut down my brain and get through the day. Mohammad and I felt free. We shared needles for drugs, and enjoyed sex with no fear of sexually transmitted infections.

Things changed when the drug addiction set in. Mohammad wanted to sell me to fund his daily fix. Scared and heartbroken I ran away. I was 17 years old, with no money or place to stay. I turned to sex work to survive but I was often raped, beaten and had nowhere to sleep but the park.

An outreach team associated with the Family Planning Association of the Islamic Republic of Iran (FPAIRI) approached me one night. I registered at their clinic and saw their gynaecologist. After receiving some counselling I decided to test for sexually transmitted infections and HIV. The HIV test result was positive.

The staff at FPAIRI were very supportive. They gave me free condoms and information on safer sex practices. I learnt about contraceptives, preventing sexually transmitted, and life skills development. They also helped me access methadone therapy and offered me vocational training to find work. These free services helped me back on my feet. I first decided to become a peer educator to help other girls and then I retrained and took a job at the clothing factory.’

This is one of the twenty-four, real-life stories highlighting how IPPF's work is having a real impact in the lives of people around the world. 'In A Life' is available at: http://www.ippf.org/en/Resources/Reports-reviews/In+a+life+2010.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment