IPPF's HIV Blog

Tuesday, September 21, 2010

Sudan: Stigma-free treatment

Living with HIV in Sudan is not easy. The media demonises HIV, this is both a symptom and a cause of the high level of HIV related stigma and discrimination faced by people living with HIV in Sudan. This stigma affects their access to medical treatment as well as care and support services. The head of a stigma-free HIV-clinic opened by the Sudan Family Planning Association takes up the story:

‘Our biggest problem in Sudan is knowing how to give people living with HIV a decent life. Our priority is finding support for people living with HIV that allows them to live positively and access the medical services they need. The situation in Sudan is very difficult. Many people living with HIV do not want to go to government health facilities as they often have a harrowing experience as the following examples show:
Through the Sudan Family Planning Association, we have been able to open a centre where people living with HIV can receive stigma-free HIV treatment, care and support services such as voluntary counselling and testing, prevention of mother-to-child transmission, antiretroviral therapy and treatment for sexually transmitted infections and opportunistic infections. There is also counselling and psychosocial support available for people living with HIV as well as home care visits. We do all this so people living with HIV can live a normal, decent life and have access to the support, treatment and care they both require and need.’
“I had a cut in my hand, so I went to the emergency unit at my local hospital. When I was seen by the doctor, he was about to seal my wound when I realised that he was not wearing gloves. When I told him to put gloves on, he looked surprised and asked me why? I told him I was HIV-positive. He told me to wait where I was and that he would be back shortly. He never came back but left me bleeding in the treatment room so I bandaged myself and left.”

“People living with HIV cannot bear the public hospital. This is because the doctors there refuse to deal with us. I will always go to the HIV clinic if I can, to avoid being stigmatized by the doctors and nurses in the public hospital.”


This is one of the twenty-four, real-life stories highlighting how IPPF's work is having a real impact in the lives of people around the world. 'In A Life' is available at: http://www.ippf.org/en/Resources/Reports-reviews/In+a+life+2010.htm

No comments:

Post a Comment